Threads: Favorite Image of 2016

Layout: Grid Large

2016 was a year of great change and challenge all around the world.

As one humanity, each of us have been faced with uncertainty and chaos, asking us to reflect on what we truly value.

Through it all, photography has been with us, encouraging us to document the year through images, honoring shifts and new choices that we made each day. From holidays to hardships, greeting the life of a new baby, or saying goodbye to dear friends and family, we've thrived and endured.

These photos were selected by the photographers of Aminus3 as their favorite image posted in 2016.

Flowing with the strength of community within Aminus3, we step forward into 2017 with new clarity and intention to CREATE!

We are grateful you choose to be here with Aminus3. Thank you for sharing your world one photo at a time.

Détente

by Mhelene

Time for relaxation for chimpanzees
at the Parc zoologique du Bois d'Attilly.

Time for relaxation for chimpanzees
at the Parc zoologique du Bois d'Attilly.

by Carol

Early Morning Encounter

by Sugata

On the third day of our Colorado trip earlier this summer, we were leaving Rocky Mountain National Park early in the morning when we saw some elks by the road and stopped. As I fitted my camera with the telephoto lens and started shooting, one of the elks started crossing the road with the low sun behind him. He was keenly aware of our presence, and yet absolutely unafraid. There was something regal and mesmerizing about that animal's gait. I ended up with this shot, my favourite for 2016.

On the third day of our Colorado trip earlier this summer, we were leaving Rocky Mountain National Park early in the morning when we saw some elks by the road and stopped. As I fitted my camera with the telephoto lens and started shooting, one of the elks started crossing the road with the low sun behind him. He was keenly aware of our presence, and yet absolutely unafraid. There was something regal and mesmerizing about that animal's gait. I ended up with this shot, my favourite for 2016.

Wo mannequin

by grouser

2016 has been so fraught with political upheaval we need to smile now and again more than ever.

I don't often get the opportunity to grab street scenes and as a reluctant shopper I tend to trail around behind Mrs. G in shops. However now and again as I shuffle behind herI spot something that interests me and this was one such occasion.

2016 has been so fraught with political upheaval we need to smile now and again more than ever. 

I don't often get the opportunity to grab street scenes and as a reluctant shopper I tend to trail around behind Mrs. G in shops. However now and again as I shuffle behind herI spot something that interests me and this was one such occasion.

Tahquamenon Falls - Upper Falls

by Steven

The color of the water, along with the autumn colors, really caught my eye. The water is notably brown in color from the tannins leached from the cedar swamps which the river drains. The Upper Falls are more than 200 feet across and with a drop of approximately 48 feet.

The color of the water, along with the autumn colors, really caught my eye. The water is notably brown in color from the tannins leached from the cedar swamps which the river drains. The Upper Falls are more than 200 feet across and with a drop of approximately 48 feet.

a few of the guys

by Rebecca

A part of the collection I've been privileged to photograph this year. I was fortunate to take a group of good friends to photograph what is arguably the largest carousel collection in the world. We spent several days during the year photographing the collection, the property where the collection is located, and making friends with the owners, Duane and Carol Perron. I chose this as my favorite of the year because of the memories it represents. What an amazing experience.

A part of the collection I've been privileged to photograph this year. I was fortunate to take a group of good friends to photograph what is arguably the largest carousel collection in the world. We spent several days during the year photographing the collection, the property where the collection is located, and making friends with the owners, Duane and Carol Perron. I chose this as my favorite of the year because of the memories it represents. What an amazing experience.

Pink Dahlia

by Anita

I love to grow and photograph flowers. Dahlias have become some of my favorites in the past few years, despite the difficulty of overwintering the tubers. This is one of my 2016 Dahlias. I was inspired by Kathleen Clemons to use the color of the flower to fill in the corners and to blur the edge petals to create a LensBaby look. The little curls in the center made this flower special.

I love to grow and photograph flowers.  Dahlias have become some of my favorites in the past few years, despite the difficulty of overwintering the tubers.  This is one of my 2016 Dahlias.  I was inspired by Kathleen Clemons to use the color of the flower  to fill in the corners and to blur the edge petals to create a LensBaby look.  The little curls in the center made this flower special.